Recipe: Beef Pho Hot Pot - Saamy Style
Needed Dry Ingredients:
- Pepper corn (photo key # 4)
- Fennel seeds (photo key #2) - (reminds me of a BAD diet ingredient I tried once, from a "nuts, fruit & birkenstock wearing friend that was vegan)
- Coriander (photo key #3) - mini balls that taste like citrus or lemon/orange zest (zest: skin of that fruit)
- Star anise (photo key #1) - they look like tiny "ninja blade throwing stars" and smell/taste like black licorice
- CARROTS (the 10 lb bag that will never end...)
- Green beans or peas or broccoli or all of the above - as much as you like...gotta add something green
- Onion - preferably large
- Chicken broth, bouillon or paste - to taste...make sure not to over due because of the salt!
- I did not , but you can add bean sprouts and parsley
- Optional" bean sprouts, parsley, mint, scallions as toppers when served
- Any size pot of water (depends on how many will eat or if you desire mega left overs) - As much water as you like
- Too this water add - Onion - add as much onion as you like to taste
- Too this water add - Garlic - in whole form and/or powder form...whatever you have on avail - again to taste
- Too this water add - All dry spices named above - to taste...as it boils and you check the taste, add more of one spice or other
- Add the "Chinese Style Noodles" - Rice Noodles, Egg noodles or basic Italian Noodles (photo key #8) - basically any noodle available goes- to the boiling hot soup!
- Add slithers of filet mignon - sliced against the grain (which is perpendicular to the visible grain line of the meat ) - see photo below -( Ok stop saying that I'm wasting good cuts of beef). Normally people use the following beef cuts: chuck roast, brisket, rib roast, sirloin, etc. ...any beef that is not already GROUND will do! Even Chicken or Fish or ALL OF THE ABOVE or some will DO!
- Optional: garnish with mint, parsley, bean sprouts, scallions
Filet mignon cut on the cross grain to make slithers